Friday, March 17, 2006

Hat for J: almost finished...

I don't know what it is with my knitting now: I can't remember ever frogging anything when I knitted like crazy when I was 18 years old. So it's: either I am more exacting now (likely), or pay less attention to what I am doing while knitting (don't think so), or more happy to experiment (likely) and come up with things I don't like...

So, anyhow: I finished J's hat last night. And then I thought that it looked a bit small... (that is, not long enough). So I tried it on on him sleeping (toddlers are great for that: can do anything to them while they are sound asleep, well most of the time, anyhow): and found that it was, indeed, too short. It covered his hair and his ears alright, but not the small of his neck, and I find that that is very annoying in a hat, as that is the spot I am always cold. So I frogged it back to the beginning of the decreases (and I had already woven in the ends... before thinking about the trying it on part). This time around I spaced the decreases with one row just knit in between, and now it is still not finished, but seems to fit. We had another try this morning, with the DPNs in (and him sayin "Hut" and "nicht"). So he did recognize what it was. We even took a picture (because the "nicht" came only after a while, ouf, I think he might end up liking it, after all, without the DPNs...).

And: I find knitting while on the phone is ok, if only I had a headset for my fixed phone. Does such a thing exist?

No comments: