Monday, October 26, 2009

A Silk Blouse with a Flounce: I love this!

Sleeveless Blouse with Flounce from BWOFPattern Description:
Burda World of Fashion Magazine: 06-2009-119 (Sleeveless Blouse) -
Lovely BWOF-speak: You'll simply float through the day when wearing this sleeveless blouse with concealed button fastening/closure .... It looks fabulously feminine thanks to the generous flounces and a waist drawstring.

Pattern Sizing:
36-44
I cut a size 38 at the top, tapering to 42 at the waist, tapering to 46 (or larger than what the pattern comes in) at the hips. Perfect.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were good, no errors. I had a bit of trouble visualizing the construction of the hidden button band. But I tried with pins, retried, and finally it clicked, and it went fine. Not the fault of the instructions, just the first time I ever made a hidden button band.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Gotta love the flounce. I liked the flounce plus the very structured look with collar, collar band, and hidden button band.
I initially did not care too much for the drawstrings, but the blouse really needs them to be wearable -- otherwise it's just a tent.
So really: like everything about it!

Fabric Used:
Silk Chiffon.
I used a 70 needle, and G760 Interfacing from Freudenberg, as recommended. The interfacing is fine for collar & band, but for the button band, it adds too much bulk, I think. (I interfaced the button band and the buttonhole band).

Also, I used Soluvlies (water soluble vlies) for the zigzagging on the flounce edge and the hem edge -- and for the button holes. With it, things came out really neat. Without it (luckily I tested on scraps), it was a real mess.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Alterations for fit:
Even though this is loose-fitting, I still had to do my usual alterations for fit. After tissue-fitting, I added 1.5 cm width as a broad back alteration over the whole length, and I took out about 2 cm length at the center back for swayback.

Design changes:
I left out the button and buttonhole in the collar, as I never wear my blouses buttoned there.
Also, I made the ties out of self fabric: cut on the grain, ironed with my Clover bias tape maker, and stitched. -- And after pulling in one of them, I thought that that was enough, and left it as is. So it's tied on one side, and I like it like that. I leave it tied to pull on and off, which fits my laziness.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I probably won't sew it again with the flounce. But maybe I will sew it without the flounce out of a cotton as a summer blouse?
I would definitely recommend it to others: it's a well-drafted pattern, and has a lot of drama.

Conclusion:
Love it. Love the fabric, it's so nice to wear. And I think it's totally wearable for work-- and got compliments for it.

No comments: