Wednesday, December 02, 2009

More jersey: a dress

Ottobre Stream DressPattern: Ottobre Design Magazine: 02-2009-14 (Stream Dress)

Pattern Description:
(my description, because my Ottobre mag is in German)
cowl-neck dress with empire waistline, waist darts in front and back of bodice, 8-panel skirt, angel sleeves, length to mid-calf/below knee

Pattern Sizing:
34 to 52
I cut 38 on top, tapering to 46 at the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
yes and no. Yes for general shape, and for the neckline.
No:
-for the sleeves (because I substituted the 3/4 sleeves from the top)
-and, for the waistline:
From the photo and from the line drawing, I didn't really notice, before looking at the actual pattern pieces, that the dress had and empire waistline. That's ok, and I think it looks ok -- but it makes it harder to wear a belt with the dress, because the belt has to go on top of the seamline, otherwise it would look very awkward.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

yes, very.
I did use a tutorial from "Off the Cuff sewing" -- click here and scroll down! to fully understand how to attach the shoulders and the facings.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I chose it because of the interesting neckline, the A-line silhouette, and because it's very easy to sew.

I really like how well the pattern fit together, and I like the endproduct.

Fabric Used:
unidentified poly/rayon jersey.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

used 38-42-46 sizes, tapering from top to bottom. Also used the size 46 sleeve, and made the armhole bigger by cutting it out deeper.
- oh, and obviously, I took the sleeve from the top, the 3/4 sleeve, instead of the short angel sleeve.
-also, I shortened the skirt by something like 10 cm (I tissue-fitted, and put the seamline at my usual spot, just below the knee).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I think I will sew it again out of a warmer knit for winter wear. I just looove simple dresses for workwear.

Conclusion:
I really like the dress. It is suuuper wearable, for work -- and I could easily dress it up a bit for evening wear, too.


1 comment:

Batty said...

I love this! It can go from work to evening in no time. Just add some accessories.