Friday, June 19, 2009

My first wardrobe plan item: top

 
DSCN0443
It worked out: now everything fits together, after correcting the center pleat on the front. It's just a tad bit tight, which makes me think that I should probably choose a size larger than indicated for my bust measurement and than make a small bust adjustment (reverse process of the FBA). -- so many things to learn. Right now I'm off to battle with my next project: pants, but more about that later.

Vogue pattern 8495 - Review:
Pattern Description:
Pullover tops have self-faced yokes, topstitching details and center front pleats. I made view A: cap sleeves extending from yoke.

Pattern Sizing:
AA(6-8-10-12), EE(14-16-18-20)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
yes, very complete, detailed instructions (this was my second Vogue patterns, I grew up with Burda, so am used to very scant instructions)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked how easy this pattern is. It makes a semifitted garment, and no buttonholes, out of woven cloth. Not bad for a very easy pattern.

Fabric Used:
I used silk satin: and the slippery fabric meant that I had to do the front pleat twice, because I did it too large the first time around.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I added fusible interfacing to the yokes, and also to the armholes of front and back (the pattern says to staystitch the armholes). I like how the soft fabric gets a bit more stand from the interfacing.

Also, I tapered the fronts out a bit larger -- I'm a size 14 on top and size 20 at my hips, and cut a size 14. The top is very large at the bottom, but I found that I liked more than the 2 inches of ease I would have had as per size 14.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
No -- I don't think that the style is particularly flattering for me, actually. I'm on the hunt for a V-Neck woven cloth pattern that would be very easy now.
Yes, I would definitely recommend it to others: it's really very easy to make.

Conclusion:
I'm happy with my finished item, but I think I will use another pattern for the rest of my wardrobe building efforts this summer



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's darling! Very mod, and looks perfect for the summer.

Batty said...

You got it to work! It's lovely. I love the pleated detail and the pattern of the fabric.