Monday, August 17, 2009

The coordinates from the Grand Plan



I will try your suggestions and shorten the hem of the red linen dress. Thanks. And I will show you the photo of the new version.
Right now: photos of the outcome of the use of Vogue 2976 Pattern for coordinates for the grand plan. It's not the fault of the pattern, but this just did not work as planned. All pieces are wearable, for the pants I'm not
DSCN0759sure I will keep them. However, they are not really wearable as coordinates. Which is mainly the fault of my fabric selection. Hmpf. And also the fault of pattern selection: what was I thinking selecting a sun top for work wear? Continue to sew and learn.

Lessons learned:
-when selecting fabrics that should work together: use swatches. (duh, as a knitter, that just seems obvious)
-when selecting a pattern, think about my body shape, and how I will probably wear the items
-learned how to insert an invisible zipper.
-learned how to move a dart


Pattern Description:
DSCN0760
MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE JACKET, TOP, DRESS, SKIRT AND PANTS-
I made 2 skirts, 2 tops and 1 pant.

Photos from all the pieces are on my flickr account, here.

Pattern Sizing:
16-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I guess so. Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very detailed instructions, easy to follow, yes. Very nice topstitching finishing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that it is a very easy pattern, and I like the complete instructions.

Fabric Used:
cotton/poly poplin.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Top: I moved the neckline up, as it was too low, and I shortened the shoulder straps. I move the breast dart up by 1.5 inches. I lengthened it slightly, and tapered the hemline outwards.

Skirt: none.

Pants: moved the front waistline down by about 2 inches.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Recommend it to others: yes, sure.

Sew it again: hm. Let's say that I chose this pattern, because it was rated easy, and because I was looking for a complete outfit, to make in coordinating fabrics. Turned out that the fabrics I selected don't coordinate -- which is obviously not the fault of the pattern. The other thing I hadn't realized when chosing the pattern is that the top is not very dressy. As I mostly don't wear jackets to work, the complete look just isn't dressy enough. And: the fabric did not work for the pants, it's too stiff, and the pants look awful.
DSCN0758

So:
the top, I will probably not sew again.
the pants: I might try again out of a more suitable (heavier, more drape) fabric
the skirt: I might use this pattern again, it's nice.
DSCN0756

Conclusion:
It's a well-drafted pattern, and the instructions are great. I just don't think that the style of these coordinates is good for me. Especially because I did not make the jacket, which somehow leaves it looking boring.


No comments: