Monday, September 14, 2009

Second Pants Pattern, Take Two




after Take One, I made a couple of alterations to the Sew U Pants, take 2pattern, and the fit is indeed improved. I am already planning Take Three, though, with hopefully an even better fit.

der zweite Versuch mit den "Sew U" Hosen. Sitzt besser als beim ersten Mal, aber ich habe auch schon geplant, was ich dann beim dritten Mal wieder anders machen werde.

Et numero deux du pantalon "Sew U" -- ca me va mieux que la premiere fois, mais la troisieme fois je vais encore faire differemment.

Pattern Description:
Pants pattern from "Sew U" book. Pants are jeans-style, with a shaped back yoke and waistband.

This is my second try with these, after the first wearable muslin

Pattern Sizing:
s,m,l,xl. I cut the biggest size, 12.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
there is no photo, there are only line drawings, and I guess, yes.
back view

Front view

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Second time around was much easier. The book does give detailed instructions, but leaves out crucial information every now and then. For example, pocket placement is not given on the pattern pieces, and you kind of have to figure out where to put them -- but the authoer does give you hints on how pocket placement can change the look of a pair of pants.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that I can play around with the pattern, and the many variations possible.

Fabric Used:
Cotton linen blend.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
These are the second pants I made from the pattern, and I did a couple of alterations on the pattern after the first try:
I've put in more width for my behind, and added length to the back crotch using Sandra Betzina's tutorial.

-added 1 cm to back inseam
-added 2*3cm to back crotch length

and these alterations at the final assembly stage:
-some tucks at the back yoke and back waistband center
-tucks at the side seams (upper part of pants and waistband)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I would definitely recommend it to others --
Yes, I will use it again --

Conclusion:
Love the pattern.
Again, I'm not entirely happy with fit. For next time, I cut the pattern one size larger -- one size larger than it comes in -- at the hips and legs, tapering to a 10 in the waist. Plus, I took out wedges out of both the back yoke and the back waistband, to make it fit better. I'll see, how those will fit.
I must say that I am happier with the fit of these than my first try. Making progress to a real TNT pant pattern.




1 comment:

Batty said...

The fit on those pants? You absolutely nailed it! Talk about figure-hugging sexy pants! You can't buy 'em like that for under $220, and I know, because I once tried on a pair of pants that fit like that and had to put them back because that was the price tag on them.